Two-Day Workshop: Natural Dye with Beatrice Brown
Saturday, July 9, 2022
Sunday, July 10, 2022
Times: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day
Length: 2 Days / 7 Hrs per day (with lunch breaks)
Level: Will appeal to beginners as well as thought with some experience with natural dyes and who would like to understand more complex strategies to manage and manipulate color.
Class Fee (all material included):
- OCAF Members $175
- Non-Members $225
Student List (Bring/Wear): Kitchen gloves (not disposable type) / old clothes (don’t mind staining with dye) / apron (optional but recommended)
A two-day hands-on, interactive workshop invites participants to learn the basics of the natural dyeing process including extraction of the dye from botanical materials, creating nine (9) dye pots, and corresponding recipes for use with cotton, linen and silk fabric
This workshop will cover several key instructions for successful natural dyeing:
- Participants will learn about mordants, tannins, dyes and color shifts with metallic salts. This instruction will provide insight regarding color and light fastness, and chemical color shifts.
- Participants will be able to see and achieve different effects of mordants with cellulose vs. protein fibers.
- Participants will work with cloth to achieve vibrant colors using foraged and sourced natural dyes.
- Participants will learn basic “dyer’s math”, principles of pH and the
importance of understanding of WOF (weight of fiber) in natural dyeing.
- Participants will appreciate the natural variable beauty derived frombotanicals vs. synthetic dyes.
- Participants will compile a Natural Dye Journal with color swatches/samples produced during the workshop.
- Concise instructions and all recipes will be included in this workshop.
All materials, equipment and supplies will be provided by the instructor
School Street Studios Building,
34 School Street, Watkinsville, GA 30677